Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Kids & TV

I, for one, am all for letting kids watch TV. But, I really don't understand why there aren't any really good shows for pre-schoolers. Most of the shows meant for 3-year-old kids are just not interesting enough to keep their attention. The only shows that do seem to keep their attention seem too violent and scary for their age. I mean, can't they come up with a villain that falls somewhere between the laughable Swiper the Fox and the really rather scary Ursula the Sea Witch? Or make a superheros show that doesn't involve all kinds of crazy violence? Is it really too much to ask?

As we all know, young kids mimic everything they see and hear, including what they see on television. For example, one of my boys was watching the age-appropriate show Toot & Puddle last night which featured parachuting, of all things. This morning he asked me if he could "tuck & roll" down the stairs. Nice, right? So you can imagine what happens when they watch the shows that are really meant for older kids ... they think they know martial arts, they start saying words like "stupid" and "idiot," they turn absolutely everything into a weapon, and so on. So, please, to all the TV and movie execs out there, make a few shows that my kids will actually find entertaining, but that won't cause any further mayhem in my house!!

No comments:

Post a Comment